Tuesday 29 May 2012

RCI Independence of the Seas May 2012

I have never been so ill, no that can’t be true, ok I have had a cold, a chest in-fection, a sore throat, headaches and an upset tummy and some call that Man-flu…come on feel sorry for me, its been awful. I started to feel unwell on the 3rd April on Black Watch and I haven’t felt great since? Oh well onwards and upwards and I’m now on RCI’s beautiful Independence of the Seas, a ship I am so very fond of, I have said before loads of times how lovely she is with her huge 1700 seat theatre, Ice Rink, Climbing Wall, American Diner called Johnny Rockets, Flow Rider, Royal Promenade which is a street running down the centre of the ship, 4 pools including an amazing children’s pool area called H02 Zone, this is the real deal. It’s everyone’s cup of tea as some find it just too big and enjoy the smaller ships more, for me I love it, I love the hustle and bustle of the place with so much going on, you’ll never get bored on Independence! We are in Southampton today and it’s a turnaround day with 4000 people getting off and another 4000 people getting on. I’m on tomorrow night, yep, me and my cold…how lovely for everybody! It’s like a reunion cruise this is for old P&O acts, my old mate John Evans is here, he’s a great comic and also a man I haven’t seen in years Paul Emanuel a brilliant singer and I’m looking forward to seeing him later in the pub after John’s show in the theatre.
John did a great spot and went down well, we have clashed on a couple of jokes but nothing to worry about. I have known John since 1996 when we used to be regulars on P&O Oriana, crikey that’s 16yrs now we’ve both been cruising together on ships all over the world, it really is a great job you know as we play some of the most beautiful theatre’s in the world and tonight’s theatre is no exception, the beautiful 1700 seat Alhambra Theatre is an amazing stage to work and I have my rehearsal in 30mins and my show tonight at 9pm and 10.45pm so I do hope my voice will be ok as I’m getting over that awful lurgy and it’s still hanging around, John Evans has the same too! Ok see you later! I had a great rehearsal with a first class professional team of musicians, technicians and one of the best production managers in the business Tony Smart, thank you boys and girls! The band are a 9 piece under the direction of Jim Barnett and really rock, and with a huge PA system and lighting rig it makes this a great gig. I have 1hr 25mins to curtain up and now with hope in my heart as my voice was there at rehearsals I am up for doing a good show tonight!
I’m just through the door from my 9pm show, I had a great time, it was a 100% full house and they very kindly gave me a standing Ovation, my voice hung on in there but cracked on the last note of Nessun Dorma but I got away with it, the comedy went really well and I felt really comfortable up there, it is an amazing theatre work. I have started to notice I have put on a few pounds again and it looks like I’ll be back on the “Lighter Life” diet as soon as I get back home, I was doing so well on it, I lost 2 stone and now its all going back on again, come on Mike! My next show is in 30mins time, I hope it goes as well as the 9pm show! The late show went great too, there were loads in from Wales and God Bless them they cheered like mad when I walked on, that gave me a boost! After the show I went along to the pub for quick pint and I met a very nice man from L.A. called Albert and it turns out he’s a record producer, what an interesting guy, we had a few beers and then realized the clocks were going on so 1am became a rude awakening 2am, that was my exit stage left so to speak, thank you Albert I hope we stay in-touch! Today we are at sea infact we have just left the infamous Bay of Biscay and it was like a mill pond, the weather is lovely today 24c and blue skies. I met with John Evans and Paul Emanuel and his lovely wife Holley and we all sat and chatted for a good 3hrs about the good old days on P&O as we all used to be on together all those years ago on Canberra, Oriana, Victoria and all the rest too! We had a great time. Tonight John Evans is back on in the theatre this time doing his late show at 11.30pm so we are going along to see him. Tomorrow its Gibraltar and John and I are going home!

No comments:

Post a Comment